More than 30 million Americans suffer from osteoarthritis, which is the leading cause for joint replacement surgery. As human beings are living longer and more active lives, the possibility of needing joint replacement is something more people will have to consider. Can joint replacement improve quality of life? Here are 7 facts to help you decide:
- High success rate:According to a study by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 98% of patients who underwent total knee replacement returned to work after surgery with 89% returning to their previous position. A related study highlighted life-restoring outcomes of hip replacement surgery.
- A growing number of patients in their 40s or younger are successfully undergoing joint replacement. You don’t have to wait until you are in your 60s or your pain is unbearable to undergo joint replacement surgery.
- Postsurgical recovery is accomplished in a few weeks.It is a myth that recovery after joint replacement takes many months. You could be back on your feet in just 6 hours after total knee replacement surgery and return home the very next day.
- Postsurgical pain can be well tolerated. The anesthesia given during surgery and postsurgical pain relief measures such as patient-controlled anesthesia will help minimize your pain and allow you to participate in physical therapy.
- Joint implants can last 25 years or longer. Improvements in joint replacement technology and surgical procedures have resulted in long lasting and better functioning implants.
- Total joint replacement can be performed by minimally invasive surgery. A total knee replacement can be performed through a single 3 to 4-inch incision. This tissue-sparing approach helps your recovery faster and provides better stability to the joint because of the minimal cutting of supporting ligaments and tendons during surgery.
- The skill and experience of the surgeon plays an important role in the success of joint replacement surgery. Getting your joint replacement surgery performed by a board-certified joint replacement specialist will significantly improve surgical outcome.
If your joint pain is interfering with your daily routine activities or preventing you from doing things you enjoy, you should enquire with a joint replacement specialist at NewportCare Medical Group about the benefits of joint replacement surgery.
NewportCare Medical Group is a comprehensive specialty group located in Newport Beach, California. Our Board-Certified and Fellowship-Trained physicians provide a wide range of services ranging from conservative and non-operative treatments, to advanced and minimally invasive surgical procedures.